Internship / Master Thesis
District Thermal Energy and Power System Modelling and Optimisation
Duration: 6 months (flexible +/- 2 months)
Contact: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Required documents: Cover letter, CV, university transcripts
TUMCREATE is a research company working on improving Singapore’s public transport system and making it more sustainable. The team of Electrification Suite & Test Lab (ESTL) is working on the electrification of public transport and its integration into the power system.
Your work will be part of the project Connecting District Energy and Power Systems in Future Singaporean New Towns. The project aims at developing a computational approach for integrated planning and operation of district-scale energy systems. The focus is on interlinking the design of thermal systems and electrical systems to exploit synergies in the system infrastructures, such as storage capabilities, demand side flexibility and ancillary services.
The project is a joint effort between TUMCREATE and the future cities laboratory (FCL) at the Singapore-ETH Centre.
Objective & tasks
- Developing performance indicators for district-scale thermal energy and power systems
- Modelling thermal building systems and electrical distribution systems
- Implementing distributed control strategies for district-scale thermal and electrical systems
- Exploring coupled methods for design and sizing of thermal energy and power systems
Within this scope, several internships and theses will be awarded. Final tasks will be aligned with each
applicant before the employment.
What we expect from you
- Very good bachelor degree in engineering (energy, electrical, mechanical, control systems, etc.), applied mathematics or in a similar field
- Ideally: Practical experience with numerical optimisation
- Ideally: Experience with thermal energy and power system modelling
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills in both written and spoken English
What we offer you
- Financial support
- Exposure to the state of art research topics
- Opportunity for publishing in international journals and conferences
- An international, multicultural and multidisciplinary working environment