Finance your studies

Whether you are a new student or have been here for several years, at one point you may be faced with the question of how you can finance your studies. In order to give you a better overview of the various available options, we have a list below.

If you have any questions, you can also reach us by Mail at any time.

Consultation hours:

Dates by arrangement


Your first step should be to check if you are entitled to receiving BAföG. Should this be the case, financing your studies is secured for the time being. If you are not entitled to BAföG, your next place to go is your relatives, as your parents are obligated to pay you alimony.

Even if you are sure that you are not entitled to receiving BAföG, you should still apply for it, as you will need the rejection letter to apply for housing benefits provided by the city of Aachen.

Housing benefits

Housing benefits are a financial support granted by the city of Aachen. For single students who have rented an apartment at their place of study and must pay for it themselves. As already mentioned above, it is very important that the student must not be entitled to BAföG in order to receive housing benefits. However, housing benefits are not granted to students who are excluded from BAföG due to their parents earning too high of an income to be eligible.

Working as a student

Of you would rather manage your studies without taking a student loan and both above options are out of the question for you, you can always look for a job to do on the side. More information can be found here.

Downloads (DE)


It can also be worth it to apply for scholarships. There are various scholarships from party-related foundations or social associations that support a variety of students. Usually, you need to achieve high to very high grades in school or university to be supported, but there are also scholarships for student who are very committed socially. The best place for you to apply is at mystipendium where you can find out which support programs are most suitable for you and find out more about the various foundations granting these scholarships.

Student loans

If all these options are out of the question or you have no prospect of success, you still have the option of considering a student loan to finance your studies. These are usually subject to interest, but there is also a student loan by the DAKA with no interest. Other loans you might consider taking are offered by the KfW with a current annual interest rate of 3.55%. The best way to find out more about these loans is to visit their respective websites or contact the AStA’s Department of Social Affairs.


Within the scope of the limited advisory authority, Aachener Lohn- und Einkommensteuerhilfe e.V. (ACLV) mainly prepares the annual income tax return for its members. There is also, among other things, an offer for tax saving opportunities.

Students of the RWTH have the possibility to get a membership at reduced rates. Counseling is also offered in English.

More information about the ACLV can be found here.

Reimbursement of the Mobility Contribution

In addition to the regular costs of studying like rent, food, office supplies, you must pay a fee every semester. If you want to would like to take off a semester, have a chronic illness or handicap, have social disadvantages that make it difficult to pay the semester fee, or cannot use the ticked included in the fee, you can apply for a refund of the ticket portion.

Applications due to financial hardship will be reviewed by the Social Affairs Committee, a committee composed of members of the student parliament on a first come, first serve basis. As stated in the Social Regulations of the Student Body, your monthly income may not exceed 80% of the BAföG maximum rate in order to be approved. Please also be advised that it is very important that you hand in your application before the end of the curent semester. (March 31st , Septemer 30th in the winter)

More information as well as counselling can be found here, in the brief below and with the AStA’s Social Department.